Saturday, November 24, 2007

More Free Stuff

I’ve just put up my short story ‘Interstitial’ on the web site. It’s an end-of-the-world story that takes off from the theory that life had survived at least one bottleneck caused by a runaway effect that created a snowball Earth and ends in the kind of conflict between the military and scientists that powered most 1950's sci-fi movies, with a tip of the hat to 2001: A Space Odyssey. Imagine it in scratchy black-and-white, with John Agar playing the hero.

I’ve just finished and sold the zombie story (they’re not really zombies; they’re Boltzmann brains). It’s presently called ‘The Thought War’, but that might get changed by the time it appears (in Postscripts next year, if everything goes to plan). Right now, I’m working on/playing with a couple of others that I set aside in the summer so that I could make the final push on The Quiet War. My version of a holiday.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm curious to read your story about the Boltzmann Brains. Perhaps you read the feature article I wrote in New Scientist about them...

If your story was inspired in part by my article, would you be willing to email me a copy of your story?

My contact details are here:
http://masonmade.com/about_me.html

(I'm not typing in my email address to try to avoid spam.)

Cheers,
Mason

November 25, 2007 5:55 pm  
Blogger Paul McAuley said...

Mason,

Wow. Yes, it absolutely was inspired in part by your article (also one by Michael Brooks in NS on observer effects). I'll email it you tomorrow (in fear and trembling that I've done indecent things to the actual science and your exposition ...).

November 25, 2007 9:17 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts