Saturday, June 24, 2006

Forbidden Planets

I’ve just received the proofs for my story, ‘Dust’, one of a round dozen collected in the anthology Forbidden Planets. Others are by Stephen Baxter, Paul Di Filippo, Scott Edelman, Matthew Hughes, Alex Irvine, Jay Lake, Ian McDonald, Michael Moorcock, Alastair Reynolds, Chris Roberson, and Adam Roberts. Edited by Peter Crowther, with an introduction by Ray Bradbury and an afterword by Stephen Baxter, it celebrates the 50th anniversary of the classic movie.

Another story, ‘Winning Peace’, the one I was writing in April, set in the same future history as ‘Dust’, will appear in Gardner Dozois’s and Jonathan Strahan’s The New Space Opera.
Back now to reading Cowboy Angels (for the first time in three years) and making notes for the many tweaks needed to bring it up to speed.

8 Comments:

Blogger Chris Roberson said...

What am I, chopped liver?

June 24, 2006 6:34 pm  
Blogger Paul McAuley said...

Crikey - sorry Chris, I'm making amends immediately.

June 25, 2006 2:33 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, at least you're in it, Chris!

Grump, grump, grump.

:)

June 25, 2006 2:38 pm  
Blogger Chris Roberson said...

No worries, Paul! And I don't kid myself I'm anything other than "and puppet show" in that lineup, anyway.

June 25, 2006 10:15 pm  
Blogger Paul McAuley said...

If you're the puppet show, I'm the little old one-legged man who comes on at the end, sweeping up after the elephants. No offense to the elephants, of course.

June 26, 2006 2:47 pm  
Blogger Peter Hollo said...

I love that one-legged man. He's the best, I always hang around for him.
The puppet show's always good though. Never did like the clowns.

Sounds like an awesome anthology. I'm currently FINALLY reading Mind's Eye, Paul, and I'd forgotten how much I love reading you :) Awesome. I'm reading the hardcover that I got from Amazon.co.uk when it came out, but for some reason it got stuck lower down the pile. Oh well, more fun for me now!

June 28, 2006 1:27 pm  
Blogger Peter Hollo said...

PS By "the clowns" I do NOT mean Jay Lake, Ian McDonald, Paul DiFilippo, Al Reynolds, Adam Roberts, or frankly the other names on your list.
Just so it's clear!
In fact, Jay's written some pretty scary clown stories that I like a lot ;)

June 28, 2006 1:28 pm  
Blogger Jonathan said...

I've read FORBIDDEN PLANETS - a typically impressive anthology from Pete Crowther. After a dozen stories, I didn't see any chopped liver or little old one-legged sweepers (though I might have missed something). I did see a bunch of terrific stories, though. Both Paul and Chris's stories are great, and I've not been able to shake Jay Lake's brooding tale since I read it a month or two ago.

June 30, 2006 4:41 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts